Mid to Senior-Level Architect / Structural Engineer
- New York, New York, United States
- WFH Flexible
- Architecture / Engineering
Job Location: New York, NY
Hoffmann Architects + Engineers is searching for a mid to senior-level architect or structural engineer with 5 to 10 years of experience to join our team in mid-town Manhattan. With opportunities to participate in all phases of the architectural and engineering processes—from investigation to design to construction administration—you’ll be expected to understand how buildings are constructed, and why they fail. At Hoffmann, close professional relationship among a smaller group of colleagues fosters camaraderie, mentorship, and innovation. Senior and mid-level architects and engineers work side-by-side with recent graduates to solve complex building enclosure problems.
Since 1977, Hoffmann has specialized in the rehabilitation, preservation, and design detailing of facades, roofs, plazas/terraces, parking garages, and historic/landmark structures. With offices in CT, NY, and VA, Hoffmann is an award-winning specialty architectural and engineering firm that has built a reputation for excellence by resolving building exterior distress at major symbols of the country’s architectural heritage, such as the Chrysler Building, the United States Capitol building, the New York Stock Exchange, and the Smithsonian Institution.
Performs project tasks including:
- Establish and adhere to project budget, schedule, and milestones.
- Conduct meetings and communicate regularly with clients to provide design guidance and report on project progress.
- Direct and coordinate consultants.
- Communicate task assignments and expectations to each team member.
- Mentor less experienced staff and provide guidance, training, and direction.
- Research building materials and systems, codes, regulations, etc., and review selections with the project team.
- Implement code review and incorporate code requirements.
- Develop details that are consistent with the design direction provided by senior leadership.
- Prepare, review, and coordinate drawings, specifications, and other project deliverables.
- Work closely with the project team to obtain project information and see that drawings are accurate and complete.
- Provide information to senior leadership for review of designs, shop drawings, and submittals, as well as for RFIs and change orders.
- Update drawings based on feedback and/or redlines.
- Perform site visits and lead progress meetings.
- Conduct building investigations, produce reports, and prepare construction documents consistent with company standards.
- Document meetings, correspondence, and other key project information.
- Follow established filing systems, tracking logs, and archiving standards, as set forth by the firm.
Work collaboratively with other departments for the benefit of the firm:
- Inform management of opportunities or pitfalls that may affect project budgets, schedules, or profitability.
- Work with business development and marketing to prepare fee estimates and establish the scope of services for proposals.
- File and organize documents in conformance with company standards.
Other Duties and Expectations
- Actively seek experience and continuing education to fulfill requirements for licensure.
- Participate in marketing and project-related activities and presentations.
- Participate in professional/community organizations and activities.
- Collaborate with team members to author white papers and articles on technical topics.
- Self-assess and informs senior leadership of availability/capacity.
- Be self-motivated regarding office projects and the office environment.
- Demonstrate organizational skills.
Required Education and Experience
- First professional degree from an accredited architectural or engineering program AND
- 5 to 10 years of architectural or engineering experience OR
- Equivalent combination of academic and professional experience.
- Architectural graduates should be enrolled in the IDP (Intern Development Program).
- Engineering graduates should have passed the FE (Fundamentals in Engineering) exam.
- Experience with building envelope rehabilitation and a license to practice architecture or engineering is preferred.
- Proficiency in computer software applications (AutoCAD, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Willingness to work on roofs and facades utilizing contractor's staging or scaffolding.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
Compensation and Benefits
- The annual salary for this position in New York City generally ranges between $70,000-$125,000. The actual offered salary will be determined based on job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, architecture/engineering job function, licensure/certifications, performance, experience, and education. This information is provided per the New York City Human Rights Law and represents our good faith and reasonable estimate of the position's salary range at the time of posting.
Hoffmann Architects + Engineers offers:
- Bonuses and profit sharing.
- 401(k) savings plan with employer match.
- New York State Employer Compensation Expense Tax (ECET) benefit.
- Student loan repayment benefit (one of the first A/E firms in the nation to offer this).
- Flexibility to work from home.
- Generous paid time-off package.
- Work-life balance, including dependent care assistance.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance with employer HSA contributions.
- No-cost disability insurance, life/AD&D insurance, and employee assistance program.
- Company-paid professional registration, dues, exam prep, and test fees, and more!
The Manhattan office is headed by Senior Vice President and Director of Architecture, Craig A. Hargrove, AIA, RRC, LEED AP. Craig has over 35 years of experience in building envelope remediation with more than 20 of those years at Hoffmann Architects + Engineers. He puts his architecture degree from the New York Institute of Technology to work as he and his staff address the complex building envelope challenges of a busy metropolitan area.
Vice President and Director of Architecture, Juan Kuriyama, AIA, is responsible for the diagnosis and resolution of building system distress. In his 24 years with the Firm, he has been recognized for his expertise by both Spanish and English publications. Juan earned architecture degrees from Ricardo Palma University in Lima, Peru and from Pratt Institute in New York.
The remainder of the staff is comprised of a blend of experienced architects, structural engineers, and rising professionals, all of whom are accomplished in the field and energetic about current and future projects at the office.
Commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity
Hoffmann Architects + Engineers is committed to a culture of diversity and equal employment opportunity. We strictly prohibit discrimination against employees or applicants on the basis of age, ancestry or national origin, mental or physical disability or history of disability, gender, marital or familial status, pregnancy or childbirth, race or color, religion or creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.