As the team leader, the Project Manager / Architect / Engineer has overall project management responsibility for both routine and complex projects. This role is the primary point of contact for the client and is responsible for scheduling, budgeting, and design of the project. The Project Manager / Architect / Engineer supervises and coordinates the activities of all internal and external team members. This role works collaboratively with business development, marketing, and administration to achieve the goals of the Firm. The successful candidate is organized, motivated, detail-oriented, is willing to work with the team, and take responsibility for getting the job done.
Coordinate and supervise the project team:
- Communicate task assignments and expectations to each team member.
- Monitor team members' efficiency and respond to changes in team staffing requirements.
- Direct and coordinate consultants.
- Mentor and provide guidance to less experienced staff.
- Provide performance review input to the office director for project team members.
Work to achieve client’s and Firm's goals within the constraints of the budget and schedule:
- Establish and adhere to project budget, schedule, and milestones.
- Conduct meetings and communicate regularly with clients to provide design guidance and report on project progress.
- Research building materials and systems and review selections with the project team.
- Implement code review and incorporate code requirements.
- Establish appropriate level of detailing based on project parameters.
- Prepare, review, and coordinate drawings, specifications, and other project deliverables.
- Work closely with the project team to obtain project information and see that drawings are accurate and complete.
- Assist clients in review of construction budget and construction contract.
- Review shop drawings, submittals, RFIs, and change orders.
- Perform or assign staff to perform site visits and conduct project meetings during construction.
- Document meetings, correspondence, and other key project information.
Work collaboratively with other departments for the benefit of the Firm:
- Inform office director or supervisor of opportunities or pitfalls that may affect project budgets, schedules, or profitability.
- Work with business development and marketing to prepare fee estimates and establish the scope of services for proposals.
- Report project progress for invoicing.
- Work with the accounting department to assist in collection of outstanding invoices.
- File and organize documents in conformance with Company standards.
Other Duties and Expectations
- Actively seek experience and continuing education to fulfill requirements for licensure.
- Participate in marketing and project-related activities and presentations.
- Participate and seek leadership roles in professional / community organizations and activities.
- Write and publish white papers and articles on technical topics.
- Attend and speak at conferences and participate in other networking and professional development opportunities.
- Demonstrate organizational skills.
- Be self-motivated regarding office projects and the office environment.
Required Education and Experience
- First professional degree from an accredited architectural or engineering program AND
- 6+ years' of architectural or engineering experience AND
- 2+ years' of building envelope, consultation experience OR
- Equivalent combination of academic and professional experience.
Project Manager: Architectural graduates should be enrolled in the IDP (Intern Development Program); engineering graduates should have passed the FE (Fundamentals in Engineering) exam.
Project Architect / Engineer: License to practice architecture or engineering with the ability to obtain reciprocity in the State of New York.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Proficiency in computer software applications (AutoCAD, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Willingness to work on roofs and facades utilizing contractor's staging or scaffolding.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Skillfully perform all project management responsibilities.
- Manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet strict deadlines.
- Work independently with a minimum level of supervision.
Hoffmann Architects is a specialty architectural and engineering firm driven by details. We have built a reputation for excellence by resolving building exterior distress at major symbols of the country’s architectural heritage, such as the Chrysler Building, the United States Capitol building, the New York Stock Exchange, and the Smithsonian Institution. Our technical staff is known for their attention to seemingly small details that can make a big difference in the life of a building. We aim to be the best in our niche field, and we take pride in our work.
We generally keep regular business hours and are home in time to have dinner with family, catch the game, or meet up with friends. With the Firm approaching 50 people spread out in three offices (VA, CT, and NY), we strive to maintain a tight community. On Friday afternoons, we break early and get together in the office for Happy Hour. We also share company-wide events from bowling night to a family summer picnic, that allow us to get together and catch up in a casual setting. Getting to know our coworkers, whether in another state or at the next desk allows us to be a better working team.
Being part of a team that does something few other firms do and even fewer do well is remarkably fulfilling. Our work is second to none because our people believe we’re the best at what we do.
Hoffmann Architects is committed to a culture of diversity and equal employment opportunity. We strictly prohibit discrimination against employees or applicants on the basis of age, ancestry or national origin, mental or physical disability or history of disability, AIDS/HIV status, gender, marital or familial status, pregnancy or childbirth, race or color, religion or creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, political activities, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.